7 nights – from US$7052 per person sharing
A nostalgic rail journey through Northern India travelling in the style of the Maharajas that once ruled India. Maharajas’ Express is one of life’s great travel experiences and perfect to combine with some of India’s other scenic or wildlife attractions.
After sight-seeing each day you will spend all 7 nights on the train
Prices on a Mumbai to Delhi basis: Deluxe cabin US$7052 pps (supplement for a Junior Suite US$3145 pps) inclusive of service tax at 3.09%. All prices valid from 1st October 2015 to 30th April 2017.
SPECIAL NOTE: The Maharajas’ Express, “Heritage of India” tour has a set departure date; a similar tour is possible in the reverse direction. The Maharajas’ Express also has a number of other tours visiting alternative destinations. Full details available on request.
Day 1 – Mumbai
Day 2 – Ajanta
Day 3 – Udaipur
Day 4 – Jodphur
Day 5 – Bikaner
Day 6 – Jaipur
Day 7 – Ranthambore
Day 8 – Agra – Delhi
Full board accommodation
Locally branded alcoholic and soft drinks
Transfers and entry fees
International and domestic airfares
Pre and post tour accommodation
A nostalgic rail journey through Northern India travelling in the style of the Maharajas that once ruled India .Maharajas’ Express is one of life’s great travel experiences and perfect to combine with some of India’s other scenic or wildlife attractions.
DAY 1 MUMBAI – MAHARAJAS’ EXPRESS
Welcome to a regal journey aboard the Maharajas’ Express as you embark on this Heritage of India tour. In the evening you will check in and enjoy a warm welcome even as you complete your registration formalities. Proceed towards Ajanta, your first destination in the circuit.
Dinner and overnight stay on board the train.
DAY 2 AJANTA
A guided sightseeing tour of Old and New Delhi will enable you to soak up the fascinating sights and sounds of the city on our full day tour. After breakfast, embark on an excursion to Ajanta Caves, the rock-cut caves dating back to 2nd century B.C. and comprising of Hindu, Buddhist and Jain sculpted art.
Dinner and overnight stay on board the train.
• Visit the UNESCO World Heritage Ajanta Cave Monuments.
DAY 3 UDAIPUR
After breakfast; embark on a sightseeing tour to the City Palace complex and Crystal Gallery. The royal lunch served in the gallery restaurant of the Fateh Prakash Palace forms the highlight of the day. After lunch, you have an option to go on a walking tour across the old bazaar, market of Udaipur city or visit the vintage car collection of the royal family or delight in the son et lumière program at the City Palace.
Dinner and overnight stay on-board the train.
• Sightseeing tour to City Palace and Crystal Gallery in Udaipur
• Son et lumière program at City Palace
• Walking tour across Old Bazaar
• Vintage car collection of the Royal Family of Udaipur
DAY 4 JODPHUR
Today you will arrive in the city of Jodhpur. After a delicious brunch, embark on an expedition to the old clock tower market followed by a leisurely trip to the Mehrangarh Fort. Dinner is scheduled at a 5-star hotel followed by an optional tour of the Rohet Garh village, home to the Bishnoi tribe.
Later, return to train for overnight stay.
• Expedition to the Old Clock Tower
• Trip to Mehrangarh Fort
• Optional Tour to Rohet Garh village
DAY 5 BIKANER
On arrival in the city, you can take an optional tour to either the Deshnok temples, the Lalgarh Palace Museum, a camel breeding farm or choose to shop for Kundan jewellery.
In the afternoon, you will head to the Junagarh Fort.
After lunch, take a ride on a camel cart to the nearby Sam sand dunes. Later in the evening, enjoy a sand dune excursion followed by cultural performances by the Kalbeliya and Langa artists accompanied by sundowner cocktails and barbecue dinner.
Dinner and overnight stay aboard the train.
• Visits to Deshnok Temples/Lalgarh Palace Museum
• Camel breeding farm
• Antique Kundan jewellery shopping
• Visit to Junagarh Fort
• Sam sand dune excursion on a camel cart
• Cultural performances by the Kalbeliya and Langa artists
DAY 6 JAIPUR
After breakfast; embark on a local sightseeing tour through the heart of Jaipur. You will enjoy an exhibition elephant polo match followed by a lavish champagne lunch. After lunch explore the magnificent Amber Fort. Later, you may opt for a shopping tour in Jaipur or choose to indulge in spa session or play golf or visit the City Palace.
Later, return to train for dinner and overnight stay.
• Exhibition elephant polo match
• Elephant ride to the top of the Amber Fort
DAY 7 RANTHAMBORE
Enjoy an early morning jeep safari through the Ranthambore National Park if you are lucky you may spot a tiger; they are quite relaxed here and can often be spotted during the day. Following your safari you will have brunch on board the Maharajas’ Express while you travel down to Fatehpur Sikri, your next destination. On reaching the city, you can visit the local attractions housed here such as Buland Darwaza and Panch Mahal. Fatehpur Sikri is a celebrated UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Return to the train in the evening for dinner and overnight stay.
• Jeep safari in Ranthambore National Park
• Visit to the UNESCO World Heritage site at Fatehpur Sikri
DAY 8 AGRA – DELHI
Early morning on the last day of the sojourn, you will travel to Agra, home to the stunning Taj Mahal a truly impressive structure and another UNESCO World Heritage Site. Later, you can enjoy a lavish breakfast accompanied by champagne at Taj Khema. While you treat yourself to a grand lunch aboard the Maharajas’ Express, the train will traverse back to Delhi to mark the end of the voyage aboard this India luxury train.
Subject to availability we will use the following hotels for our guests:
|All 7nights (B,D)||Maharajas’ Express|
B = Bed & Breakfast
L = Lunch
D = Dinner
- Accommodation on twin sharing basis in a deluxe cabin on the Maharajas’ Express
- Meals as specified
- Butler service
- House brand alcoholic and soft drinks whilst on the train
- Transfers, sightseeing and overland trips by air-conditioned vehicle
- Services of an English speaking guide for the sightseeing tours
- Entrances fees with still camera fees
- All current taxes as on date.
What’s not included:
- International flights. We are happy to help you book these or you can arrange your own
- Domestic flights if applicable
- Pre and post tour accommodation
- Any optional tour not mentioned in the itinerary
- India visa fee
- Meals or drinks except those specified above
- Tips and gratuities
- Purchases of a personal nature
- Any expenses incurred due to any unforeseen situation or any other reason beyond our control including acts of god, change in government tax policy etc.